Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Write on Wednesday: Bring Me Sunshine In A Cup...

Gill at InkPaperPen inspired me yet again! Ding!

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 19 - Sunshine in a cup. Write the words of Emily Dickinson: "Bring me sunshine in a cup" at the top of your page. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the prompt. Don't take you pen off the page (or fingers off the keyboard). Stop only when the buzzer rings! Do this exercise over and over if you wish. Write beyond 5 minutes if you like, you can link it up as an extra post.

Bring me sunshine in a cup...the sunshine in my life is my darling daughter. Each day I get to wake up is another adventure I am blessed to have with MyDarby. Still being fairly new to parenting (fifth year mama to a 14-year-old girl), I worry about her...A LOT! From what my mother tells me, this doesn't end just because she grows up. Where other mothers in my tenure are sending their darlings off to kindergarten for the first time, I am watching mine get on the bus for high school. My counterparts are braiding hair and tieing bows while I am side glancing today's outfit for dress code violations. My peers are volunteering for class mom and play dates while I am begging for ten minutes a day of communication other than grunts and shrugs. With so much uncertainty in parenting, I have one thing I can always fall back to...no matter what is to come, who she will be, what she will do, I love my girl with all my heart, unconditionally, unfaltering. My cup runeth over with the pure joy and unending love I have for MyDarby.

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! My favorite part is when you are talking about begging for a few minutes of conversation other than grunts -- great imagery there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. I like the way you describe the tension between the things other 5th year mothers are doing compared to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is SO very lucky to have such a loving, attentive, compassionate momma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky girl! I love how your sunshine is her, no matter what, no matter how hard the communication gets and with teenagers it is hard I am sure. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yall make me smile...thank you for visiting and commenting. I don't think DarbyDoo shares yall's enthusiasm for my mama-ing. I look forward to the day she calls me because her kiddo is teen-ing her and says, "I love you and am sorry for taking you for granted when I was this age." I know my mama looks forward to my calls to her saying the same thing now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a tricky journey isn't it? Well done - it can be hard to find the sunshine some days, but speaking it makes it real

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'I am side glancing today's outfit for dress code violations.'

    This line made me laugh.

    What an interesting position to be in (fifth year mama to a 14-year-old girl). I can only imagine the challenges that would bring. I love how you are focused on the sunshine, the overflowing cup of love and joy. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely piece. 'No matter what is to come, who she will be, what she will do, I love my girl with all my heart, unconditionally, unfaltering' This line says so much! Luck girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, my favorite line was the same as Sif's, the bit about side glancing for dress code violations. A lovely, honest little piece and I think your daughter will be pleased to read it, in years to come if not now! Great piece, Jaimee. Ding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very adorable and sweet piece! I too, like the line about sideways glances!

    ReplyDelete