Friday, October 21, 2011

My Birthday Wish...

PHOTO SOURCE
For the last almost eight months since losing MyGayla, I have told my friends and family that I don't want to have a birthday. Part of that was the fact that the 19th of every month just reminds me that my sister is no longer here. The other part is that I don't want to someday be older than her. It's strange that a rational person would think this way, but I have found that in grief even the most rational people make irrational statements and choices as part of trying to make their reality not so. I came to realize yesterday that I am ready to grow old because that is what I am supposed to do. If anything, the death of my beloved sister-best-friend has taught me that I have to start embracing every day I have for the joyful blessing that it is.


Now here's where I need all of my friends' help. I have a wish list of material things that would make any girl's day. However, I am also aware that these THINGS cost money that we don't have. Therefore I put them away as dreams for someday. Another thought that has stuck with me for the last few months is that the outpouring of love for Gayla after her death has been almost overwhelming at times, and I wonder if we were as passionate about letting her know we loved her while she was alive. Then it hit me...what I really want for my birthday.


I love, love, love to receive mail. It has made my day since I was a little girl to receive personal posts. My birthday wish is that my friends and family will send me birthday cards with their memories of me written inside. Since I will be (eh-hem) thirty-seven celebrating the eighth anniversary of my twenty-ninth birthday, my goal is to receive at least 37 hand-written birthday wishes in the mail before November 19, 2011. Chad and Darby have agreed to help me not open these birthday treats until the day of my birth. Chad also says that I don't need to be disappointed if no one participates...let's prove him wrong!


Now this is tricky...how to put my address out there but keep myself and family safe from cyber stalkers...I am posting this on my facebook with a pic of my mailing address. For anyone not on my friends facebook list, e-mail me at jaimee dot hunter at sbcglobal dot net and I'll send you the address.


Looking forward to it! Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment