Monday, December 12, 2011

I Got More Than My Fair Share of Hips; Does that Qualify Me as a Hipster?

There's a billboard on 121 near the Colony with a balding baby boomer wearing an Hawaiian shirt and playing an electric guitar. The tag line says, "Getting a new hip does not necessarily make you hipper." I laugh (...does that make me old?).

Yesterday was spent with Sosie and M and J trying to educate me to what "hipsters" are. Apparently, the only hips I am familiar with are attached to my lower half because it is widely accepted among my gang that I have no sense for fashion or music or trendy movies. It makes me think, "If I am so uncool in every way, can I just say I am doing it ironically and call myself a hipster?"

Urban Dictionary defines hipster as ".. a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter...Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs."

Funnily enough, Wikipedia pretty much defines the Hippie culture of the 60s in the same way...almost plagiarism-esque. Which brings me to my point. If that Senior on the billboard is not "hip" or "with it" now, then all those little whipper-snapper-hipsters of today have only to look forward to their grandchildren emulating them in fifty years and calling them uncool.

I! LOVE! IT! You know why; because I am not cool now, and I won't have to defend myself when I am uncool then. I am cool with being uncool. It makes my teen laugh. What's the most uncool thing you do? I write this blog and sometimes draw stick figures for my illustrations...wait...that's pretty cool in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment