Friday, May 13, 2011

"Reading" Club


One area where Gayla and I have always differed was reading. She hated it and I loved it. To me, immersing myself in a world outside of reality was like vacationing not only in an unknown place but as any character my imagination decided to be.

A little more than a year ago, I introduced sister to audio books. Her career required her to travel in her car a lot, and she wanted something to keep it interesting. It turned out that this idea was right up Gayla's alley, and suddenly, I had a reading buddy with whom to talk about our books.

Gayla would "read" her books and send me texts about what shocked or tickled her funny bone. She sent me a text one day that said, "I really enjoy our book club chats." She told me she wished audio books had been around when we were in school because she would have liked reading more. Sister was an auditory learner and could use her inner eye to see the story so much better than if she were reading the written page.

Two new books in a couple of the series we were following came out this month. My heart shattered when the reminder Gayla had me place in my phone went off. I purchased the books on my kindle and read them with vigor, hoping to have the same excitement I had when we shared this experience. However, I have since finished the books and am thoroughly disappointed. I don't know if it is the writer's fault or if my interest in reading is waning. I contribute most of my disappointment to the loss of my reading buddy.

I started reading The Help last night if anyone is interested in reading with me!

4 comments:

  1. Oo, I have been wanting to read that. Let me get a copy and we can read it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will get a copy...now that i have free time it will be nice to have someone to talk to about my reading! :)

    who is it by?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn stockett. The movie is coming out soon too! Yay! Book buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The movie comes out August 12! I may just have to re-read the book a couple of times before then...IT'S THAT GOOD!

    "Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearlyu as much as I thought." Aibileen in THE HELP

    ReplyDelete