Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Daughters


I grew up playing with baby dolls and dreaming of one day being a mommy. Lighthearted play became a back-burner mission once I was of age. My goal became an obsession in 2001 when I started having complications with endometriosis. However, in 2007, just as I was getting my fairytale with the love of my life, I had to give up the dream of being someone's Mama. Or so I thought!




Almost in the same instant that the ability to become a mom was taken, the most beautiful, smart, funny, caring little 10-year-old girl opened her arms wide and told me, "You're my Mama, Jaimee." If it weren't for Darby (and Chad), I surely would have lost my mind with grief over the past four years. Darby girl has taught me as much as I have taught her. She is the best daughter a gal could have. (It's really funny to see her get on to her Daddy if she thinks he's being unfair to me...hehehe).



I may have missed out on the "Firsts" of the beginning decade of her life, but I'll be there for the rest. I was there to hold her in my lap when the "dreaded first" entered her life. I'll be there for the first day of high school and college. I'll hold her when her first heartbreak seems like it will tear her in two. I'll be the one in the passenger side when she tries to parallel park the first time. My car will be her first fender-bender. I'll take her to pay her first ticket. I'll help her fill out the application for her first job. I'll get the first call that she's found the person of her dreams and is ready to get married. I'll help her figure out how we'll break that news to her Daddy.



I cannot count all the "firsts" I will witness through this amazing little woman, but I'll be there. Do you know how I know? I know because I have the best role model for how to be a Mama to a daughter, my Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment