Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursdays are Happiness Reports: Focus on Marriage Week 2

NOTE: Last week was fun. Hubby Dearest and I have taken to spending time making each other laugh and that seems to have strengthened our bond. Our senses of humor really are pretty spot on. His Valentine card to me said he loved me more than BACON. Mine to him was of two old people molesting one another. Our funniest moment though is going to YouTube to find a porcupine video mentioned on TMZ. It was so gross we couldn't quit laughing, and now we just greet each other with animal noises and fall out laughing. He really is my soul mate in every way.


This Week: Fight Right

According to Gretchen Rubin's book, conflict falls into two categories...that which can be resolved and that which cannot. Example: what to have for dinner and it's converse how should we spend our money. Conflict is a fact of life. Here's what I am focusing on this week:


Tackle only one issue at a time and avoid "you never" or "you always."

I am also intrigued by, "It takes at least five positive marital actions to offset one critical or destructive action." My bubba and sister-in-law went to a marriage seminar last fall where the speakers suggested if you ever feel criticized by your spouse, you should raise your hand at which point the offending spouse should pay you five complements to right the wrong (or something like that). We as a family have since taken great joy in raising our hands to each other's mis-speaks (FUNNIEST STORY SO FAR: Hubby dearest is fishing with my daddy and brother. Daddy said something to pick at HD. HD raised his hand. Daddy saw him and retorted, "Well then you better call your therapist or your wife 'cause I don't care if your feelings are hurt.") This made him laugh...me too.


Thank you for continuing to support this little bit of crazy each day! Visit my blog each Thursday to see how My Happiness Project is going! Here's the plan by month so far:

  • January--BOOST ENERGY
  • February--REMEMBER LOVE MARRIAGE
  • March--AIM HIGHER WORK
  • April--LIGHTEN UP PARENTHOOD
  • May--BE SERIOUS ABOUT PLAY
  • June--MAKE TIME FOR FRIENDS
  • July--BUY SOME HAPPINESS
  • August--CONTEMPLATE THE HEAVENS
  • September--PURSUE A PASSION
  • October--PAY ATTENTION
  • November--KEEP A CONTENTED HEART
  • December--BOOT CAMP PERFECT HAPPINESS

No comments:

Post a Comment