Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursdays are Happiness Reports: Focus on Marriage Week 1

Welcome to February fans! This month's happiness project leg is focused on dancing a jig with my marriage. As Gretchen Rubin writes in her book, "...my marriage was the foundation of all the other important choices in my life...the atmosphere of my marriage set the weather for my whole life." Hubby Dearest is who he is and that includes some amazingly good attributes and a few not-so-wonderful characteristics. The amazing WAY OVER THE TOP SUPERB trumps the eh's. So why do I focus on the annoyances? I would give this man any major organ of his choosing to save his life, so why get bent over him falling asleep on the sofa? CONCLUSION: I am the only person I can change so I am going to let the petty go and embrace this amazing man for ALL he is.


Let's start with my head. I am adopting Rubin's 12th commandment as my mantra this month: "There is only love." From this moment on, I refuse to think unkind or critical thoughts about my man (or anyone else). I will not even listen or put up with anyone else who criticizes.

Also, to help with this mind set, I will spend the next week complimenting my man for the everyday wonderful he brings to my life. I will not nag him about anything. Also, I will not expect praise for my contributions to our household.

I think I will also hug my husband more. I think we've gotten into a groove of quick pecks on the lips when leaving and arriving home and we've forgotten to hug one another with our whole selves. Don't go pervy on my here; I seriously mean hugging without sexual expectation. Rubin wrote in her book, "We hugged--for at least six seconds, which, I happened to know from my research, is the minimum time necessary to promote the flow of oxytocin and serotonin, mood-boosting chemicals that promote bonding."

Check List for Week 1:
1. Repeat, "There is only love."
2. Don't criticize.
3. Compliment and praise.
4. Don't nag.
5. Do not expect praise in return; do just to do.
6. HUG it out!

Thank you for continuing to support this little bit of crazy each day! Visit my blog each Thursday to see how My Happiness Project is going! Here's the plan by month so far:

  • January--BOOST ENERGY
  • February--REMEMBER LOVE MARRIAGE
  • March--AIM HIGHER WORK
  • April--LIGHTEN UP PARENTHOOD
  • May--BE SERIOUS ABOUT PLAY
  • June--MAKE TIME FOR FRIENDS
  • July--BUY SOME HAPPINESS
  • August--CONTEMPLATE THE HEAVENS
  • September--PURSUE A PASSION
  • October--PAY ATTENTION
  • November--KEEP A CONTENTED HEART
  • December--BOOT CAMP PERFECT HAPPINESS

No comments:

Post a Comment