Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Write on Wednesdays--Piqued

Write On WednesdaysThank you again INKPAPERPEN! The Write On Wednesday Rules: Feel free to get creative with the writing exercises - there isn't a right or wrong. Please do try to visit the other members of Write On Wednesdays and leave a comment.
Write On Wednesdays Exercise 10 - A Gift of Serendipity... Take Felicity's Word of the Week. Write it at the top of your page. Set your timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the Word of the Week. Stop writing when the buzzer rings. 

Felicity's Word of the Week is...

Piqued:
A state of vexation caused by a perceived slight or indignity; a feeling of wounded pride.tr.v. piqued, piqu·ing, piques

1. To cause to feel resentment or indignation.
2. To provoke; arouse: The portrait piqued her curiosity.
3. To pride (oneself): He piqued himself on his stylish attire.

Enjoy! Try to have fun. You don't need to focus on the meaning of the word too much. No matter what you write, the point is to Get Writing.

MONDAY:  I was piqued on Saturday when I got up at 7 a.m. to retrieve Darling Daughter from her best friend's sleep over to head over to Freshman Orientation, Fish Camp, at her new high school, and the little booger was a little snarky with me. Being her forever cheerleader, I was trying to be peppy and encouraging about having fun and making new friends. DD, in her best condescendingly fake peppy sing songed at me, "I'll try." Smart ass! I pointed to her chosen attire for her first impression with her new school, a Girl Scout t-shirt, and sang, "You know what Girl Scouts say, 'Make new friends but keep the old; one is silver and the other's gold.'" I am sure DD was piqued at me too because her surliness continued so I turned my peppy on a little louder. I think I am a butt too, but I just couldn't help myself. How do you out-smart-ass a smart ass? Ding!


TUESDAY: When I was a teacher, once a week, we would have a WOW (word of the week) and CCW (commonly confused word). As part of the bellringer, I would have the students create a poster of the WOW and CCW that included the word, the part of speech, the definition, a doodle of their interpretation of the word, and three sentences using the word. I miss teaching and am a lot nostalgic so I created my own poster for PIQUED. DING!



WEDNESDAY: MyDaddy is not interested in technology. Never has been. When I was in college, Mama and Daddy bought me my first computer for graduation. It had this very cool (at the time) screen saver that would create pastel drawings as you watched. The closest we could get Daddy to a computer was him watching the drawings be created, which I have to say was a lot of entertainment for the time. Nevertheless, you can imagine my excitement last night when I looked at my FaceBook news feed and saw Daddy Dearest is now friends with MyMama. Oh, joy! I scrambled to add him as my friend and anticipated the wonderful pictures I could tag him in and the Words With Friends games we could play. I refresh. Again. Refresh. REFRESH. REFRESH!!!! Daddy Dearest is now friends with MyMama and MyMike (dearest friend). AW HELL NO! You don't except my friend as a friend before you accept your daughter as a friend. Hubby Dearest walks through the living room at that exact moment saying, "Hey, Baby! Your Daddy is on FaceBook, and he's sent me a friend request." I called Daddy, piqued at the snub. I should have known...MyDaddy isn't even setting this up. Enter MyBubba who lives to pick at me because, duh...it's so freaking effective! Mama talked me off the ledge and said she would help Daddy figure out how to correct this as soon as we got off the telephone, but then she and I talked for another hour so I am sure she forgot. I did however check the notifications a few more times throughout the night only to see more of my friends added to Daddy's list (he's really popular!). Feeling really hurt, I called Bubba this morning, and he started laughing. "Your daughter sent me a text last night. 'You're hurting her feelings.'" He then explained that he was setting up Daddy's phone for him, and Facebook used his existing contacts to find friends. Bubba sent out all those friend requests and couldn't figure out why mine wasn't included. His baby was ready to go home at that time so he stopped before he could get us all connected. Bubba said he would see them tonight and try to get it all set up. DING!

7 comments:

  1. Great stories! I can relate to Monday - ah, the joys of parenthood! Wednesday was funny, though probably not so much of you at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever to create a poster AND do the writing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jaimee, I feel like we get such a HUGE insight into your personality through your colourful writing. I was very impressed with your poster - good on you!

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, I love to know that you are enjoying WoW and the community there. Me too...

    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all three, but particularly Monday. "Her forever cheerleader" this line is so true! I feel this way all the time.

    I love your style of writing; busy, funny, joyful. The poster is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your style of writing. It feels full of personality and vivacity. Monday was my favorite.
    Also, I noted that your sister was the one who put you on the writing path. This awoke a feeling of tenderness for me as my sister did the same for me. To this day she is my #1 cheerleader in the writing area. Looking forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monday was my favourite too. I really relate well to the teenage daughter dilemma. they're in their early 20's now, & I'm still their 'forever cheerleader'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sorry - that didn't make any sense! I meant to say - My two daughters are now in their early 20's! Note to self - re-read before posting!

    ReplyDelete