Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Write On Wednesdays - The Clock Winked


Write On WednesdaysThank you, INKPAPERPEN, for another great writing opportunity. This week's prompt follows. You should join us if you haven't already. I love that other writers come to read my writing and share their thoughts. Write the words "The clock winked" at the top of your page. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the prompt. Stop when the buzzer rings. Do this exercise over and over if you wish. Write beyond 5 minutes if you like, you can link it up as an extra post.

Photo Source
MONDAY: The clock winked at me in the dark, expelling its defeating message: "You're still awake, and I am going to stare you in the eye to keep you that way!" I flipped over to my left side, peeved at the glowing orange numbers searing their taunts into the back of my head. Then it was the pillow that offended me, so I violently flipped it over as well, seeking the cooler, smoother side to comfort my racing mind. The snoring freight train I was trying to snuggle into practically shouted at me that sleeping was easy and questioned my ineptitude at such a simple task. I had to tuck my arms securely by my side to keep from pulling its nose hairs out, one at a time. Ding!

P.S. I would never do that to HubbyDearest! He's way to sweet when he's asleep...almost like a baby. Maybe I should look into pacifiers for grown-ups. :-D


TUESDAY: The clock winked at me as he skipped away with my youth, hand-in-hand like eloping lovers. The remuneration he left me were crows feet around my eyes, laugh lines in my cheeks and oh so sweet memories of earning them both. I think I shall steel away so on his next trip around he cannot abscond with more. Ding!

PHOTO SOURCE
WEDNESDAY: The clock winked, or blinked, 12:00 on that old VCR for months at a time. MyGayla was the first to figure out how to set the time so it would stop. We were 12 and 10 that summer and thought the new technology in our house was the be all end all. It's funny to look back on what we grew up with as far as technology goes. That VCR came to us at about the same time that the car-sized Camcorder became our latest and greatest toy. It had only been a few years since our first remote-controlled television, and I think that was also around the time Mama got us our first computer, DOS with a green screen monitor! The microwave was a nifty little ditty; Sister had to set that clock as well. She had me read every direction manual to her, and I learned by watching her. I always learned by watching her. Ding!

5 comments:

  1. Another fantastic entry. I love the second one, Tuesday cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all three, but damn you for being so creative. Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all three. You have a wonderful humorous style and very easy to read.

    "The clock winked at me as he skipped away with my youth, hand-in-hand like eloping lovers." Great line!

    The Ding is a lovely touch. And I like that you are making WoW suit you and your blog - the three entries, one for each day is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed all three but I really identified with Monday's! And I agree with Gill, the "ding" really is a lovely touch.

    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Tuesday's piece the best - what a lovely was to look at getting older! Wednesday's piece was a walk down memory lane (that seems like such a long time ago, now!)...

    ReplyDelete