Thursday, April 21, 2011

K is for Kindness

Do you remember when you were young and somone had wronged you in some way? You ran home to Mama and she took your side, and your enemy was her enemy? I don't! My Mama, although seething on the inside I'm sure (I hope...), made me see things from my enemy's point of view. To me, this is the ultimate act of kindness. By making me try to understand what others were seeing, feeling, and thinking, Mama taught me to think of others first. Now if you kept on wronging me, then Mama was a force to be reckoned with! No greater protector exists than Brenda Moore.

No greater fighter for the under dog exists either. When we were in our tweens, I remember my mother bringing home whatever free kitten or found dog she came upon. The cats never lasted long but one dog in particular still warrants teasing my mama about. Folley...because he follied her home! This little poodle something mix was covered in patches of tar from Mama's rural route being repaved and boy howdy he was skinny! In the entire time we housed this poor creature, we were never able to free him of the mats. However, that didn't keep mama from trying constantly. She not only wanted to help Folley, she wanted to give this puppy a home. In this, my mama taught all three of her children that everyone deserves a family. I think that is why all of her children have taken in the unwanted dog at one time or another. I think it's also why we all have made a point to be a friend to anyone who needed or wanted one. Her acts of kindness taught us how to embrace the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment