Monday, September 21, 2015

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!
RECIPE: Chicken Tortilla Soup

So with teeny, tiny tummy comes teeny tiny meals. The more protein you can pack in, the longer you feel full. Protein is your friend with gastric vertical sleeve. In my search for high-protein meals, I have experimented and either flew or fell. This was a fail for chicken tacos but seems to be a flight of fabulous for chicken soup!

I have been sick for a couple of weeks now (thank you allergies and rag weed). Well, despite my efforts, I still ended up with bronchitis. To make myself feel better, I was thinking chicken tacos. I don't know where I saw the ingredients and idea so forgive me if I have committed Internet theft of a really good idea that was yours.

I put the ingredients in the crockpot and let it commit its magic while I slept off my bronchitis. After a few hours, our home smelled like heaven. I went to check on the shredibility of the chicken. Each time I made a grab for the chicken breast, it just shredded itself back into the crockpot. With the liquid a plenty, I made a snap decision...tacos out, soup in. Husband friend ate his with a bed of tortilla chips and cheese.

Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup (Tortilla Optional)

Ingredients:
  • 4 Chicken Breasts
  • 1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Powder
  • 1 pkg. Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
  • 1 pkg. McCormick's Chile Seasoning
  • 1 Box of Swanson's Chicken Broth
  • 1 Can of Black Beans
  • Your choice of soup vegetables; maybe some rotel tomatoes too!
Place first five ingredients in the crockpot on high. Cook till chicken falls apart. Add beans and vegetables. Cook for another hour. Serve hot over tortilla chips and cheese if desired.

8 servings at around 220 calories/serving

GVS buddies, I put just the soup in a ramekin to get my 1/4 cup (@110 calories). I skipped the chips and cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment