Wednesday, June 27, 2012

UPDATE: We Lived by the Law and the Promise and We had Girl Scout Camp

UPDATE: All of this began for me because of my sister-in-law's adoration for Girl Scouts. Here is what she wrote on the Petition that was put together:

I feel like I have no voice as an individual. I have tried to talk with adminstration, and have submitted concerns to the Board with no return comments. I feel like the principals and foundations of the organization I have been a part of for 29 years--and that has made me a large part of who I am today-- is being thrown out with the current leadership of the council. Girl Scouting in the jurisdiction of Diamonds will not live through the second 100 years if we, the volunteers, do not demand that the corporate side of the organization be accountable for its actions. Juliette Gordon Low would most certainly NOT be proud of the way our professional leaders have lost sight of the importance of the girl in Girl Scouting. I am hoping that when my voice is joined with 1000's of others, those individuals who have been entrusted in positions of leadership within our Council will open their ears and allow the heart of this organization to be heard.   

Original Post from June 21, 2012:

Back in late January, I wrote a letter to the CEO of Girl Scouts of the USA about the lack of representation that the members of the former Conifer Council in Texas and Arkansas had in the new corporate atmosphere in GSUSA. In my letter I was outraged that the new council of Diamonds Girl Scouts of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas were ignoring their constituents, that they had decided without much consideration or constituent input to not have resident camp in Mena, Arkansas, at Camp High Point, and that Diamonds were shunning their resources rather than embracing these constituents. There really was not a positive response from the corporate offices of either GSUSA or Diamonds.

Staff Cheer During Last Night Campfire, Photo By Crystal Smith at Little Bird Studios
However, the response from the leadership and girls of the former Conifer Council was resounding. Because of the donations from area businesses and individuals, the 40+ volunteers, who gave their time and talents without pay, were able to provide 50+ Girl Scouts a resident camp at Camp High Point in Mena, last week. Despite the many obstacles and hoops the Diamonds Council kept throwing up to dissuade us, the Resident Camp was a success!
More importantly, the leaders and girls did everything the way Girl Scouting had taught us. We lived by the Girl Scout Promise and Law, we learned something new everyday, and we had fun. To make sure the new Council understands we are Girl Scouts through and through, we also made sure we left our beloved Camp High Point in better condition than we found it. I like to think Juliette Lowe is somewhere applauding us. 

Even if the Diamonds Council has not intended for their leaders and long-time members to feel this way, I was shocked at how many of the volunteers made the statement, "I am sure Diamonds wishes I/we would just go away."  Perception is reality, Diamonds, when you are dealing with customer relations. Your handling of this entire situation has put your leadership in a poor light. Don't you think it is time to start embracing these leaders and applauding their efforts? Aren't you ready to start working as a team to bring Girl Scouting to this area? We have already shown you that we will have Girl Scouting with or without Diamonds support. I can just imagine how great Scouting would be in this area if you got on board and we all worked together. 

The Girl Scout Promise

On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.
The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.

2 comments:

  1. Sign the Petition! Girl Scouts Diamonds - Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas: Require the CEO & COO to be accountable to the operational volunteers
    http://www.change.org/petitions/girl-scouts-diamonds-arkansas-oklahoma-and-texas-require-the-ceo-coo-to-be-accountable-to-the-operational-volunteers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear daughter,
      This was a well written, honest, accurate assessment of the situation. I see no reason for anyone to think it should be removed. People in power may not like to hear the truth but ignoring it will place their program in peril.

      Delete